Edward Pegge Junior and Gertrude Strelley were married at Norton on 17th July 1648. The bridegroom's age is not known exactly as the Ashbourne registers are defective for the period, but he was about 26 years old and his bride 16. Edward had been educated at Ashbourne Grammar school and St. John's College Cambridge; he is probably the Edward Pegge who was admitted to the Inner Temple from Clement's Inn in 1645. The bride, only daughter and heiress of William Strelley, had at the age of four, inherited the Beauchief estate, which her great-great-grandfather Nicholas Strelley, had purchased from the crown immediately after the dissolution of the monastery in 1537. From the Beauchief rental it would appear that it was about 1683 before the young couple settled at Beauchief Hall. The pleasant south-facing house to which Srelley brought his bride, has not changed greatly in outward appearance. The feature which impressed the early 18th century antiquary, Brailsford, as it does the modern visitor, is the sweep of stone steps in front of the entrance. Those recently required resetting and were found to be built up on loose rubble. Broughton Benjamin Pegge-Burnell, whose initials, with the date, 1836, can now be seen on a small pediment he added above the main door, carried out alterations particularly at the east end, but except for the east entrance and the re-glazing of windows, these are not very conspicuous from without. The original small panes can still be seen in one of the windows at the west end. The inventory made on Strelley-Pegge's death in 1691 named the rooms with their furniture, without, unfortunately, distinguishing the different floors. The first, or entrance floor contained the Hall with the fine chimney-piece, said to be the gift of Adrian Mundy, the dining-room, ante-hall, parlour and several closets, in one of which was the library valued at £20. The main bedrooms or chambers, are described as the red chamber, purple chamber, yellow chamber, Mistress Anne Pegge's chamber, (which contained the best furniture) and the parlour chamber. The latter, being the only one of the main chambers with sheets on the bed, was apparently occupied by Strelley Pegge. Some of the furniture in this room may have been Madam Pegge's own, which would account for the rather sparse furnishings given in the inventory. Strelley had clearly left the rooms much as they were left by his father and even left particular directions in his will for the recovery of the purple screen made with the same cloth as the purple bed, both of which had been removed by his sister Anne when she married Mr.Sowtheby. The later Strelley's were a sickly stock: two sons born to William and Gertrude died in infancy, and William himself died aged twenty-seven in 1635, leaving his infant daughter Gertrude, (Edward Pegge's future wife) his heiress. Another long wardship was inevitable, this time with the added complication that William's widow came of a Roman Catholic family, the Eyre's of Bradway. She subsequently appears in the recusant roll of 1638 as holding the farm of two parts of her jointure forfeited to the crown for her recusancy, viz. her life interest in half the manor of Beauchief, value £20. Shortly before 1670, Edward Pegge junior began to build the present hall to replace the old monastic grange which the Strelleys had occupied and which stood on or near the same site. In 1668, the rental of Beauchief begins, the lands occupied with it are listed separately, their total value being £48.13.6d. Next year,1669, it appears as the "old grange or hall" The only reference in this rent book to the new hall occurs in connection of rebates in rent allowed in 1670-1 to a tenant Jonathan Cowley, for carrying lime, stone and sand to the "new" house. The lintel of the main door still bears the date 17th May 1671 and the words:
"Ebenezer Haec comus ergo Deus stat honoris grata columna: Nam domus et domini conditor ipse Deus."
The separate outbuildings to the west of the hall (now called Pegge's Cottage), bear the date 1667 and the name "Edward Pegge" on the lintel, but they were very much altered in 1836. It is probable that the interior of the hall took several years to complete and may have been delayed by the death of the heir Gervase on whom his father had pinned his hopes. Gervase was educated at home by his father and was probably always a delicate boy. In July1670, at the age of 17, he was admitted a fellow-commoner of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. A year later, he was admitted to Grey's Inne. Beauchief Hall was approaching completion. A marriage was arranged between Gervase and Adrrian Mundy's daughter/heiress and the future of the house of Strelley-Pegge looked bright . However, Gervase died in London in 1673, before completing his education.
Strelley and Christopher Pegge at Beauchief While Strelley and Christopher continued their education in London after their father's death, Ann, who was approaching 30 remained for the time being as mistress of Beauchief Hall. Two letters from her threw some light on family connections at this period. The first, addressed to Mrs Elizabeth Bretland , was about some new hoods and was written in 1680 while the Pegges were still in half mourning. When Strelley died in 1691 without children, Beauchief Hall and lordship, passed into possession of his wife as her jointure, together with the household goods as longas she lived there. They were soon exchanged for an annual payment of £280, a heavy charge on the estate of Christopher Pegge who succeeded his brother and married Anna Catherine Eyre (Dowry £1,000), eldest daughter of William Eyre of Highlow, early in 1693. X May this house stand with columns pleasing to God For god Himself is the Maker of The house and its master.
Strelley Pegge junior, succeeded to the estate in 1770. he died in 1774 aged 23, and within two months, his mother and his youngest brother, Christopher, aged 21, were also dead, leaving Peter Pegge, aged 23, alone at the Hall. It was probably the result of his sudden loss that he sought the company of a local girl, Maria Dalton of Totley. In the Dore register is recorded the baptism of her two illegitimate children, Strelley Pegge Dalton (baptised 10th March , buried 16th May 1776) and Elizabeth Dalton (baptised 1st August 1777). Broughton-Benjamin's marriage to Miss Elizabeth Dalton (in fact she was his first cousin) in December 1802, gave complete satisfaction in the family. The young couple began their married life in Park Place, Leeds, and soon took a house at Thorp Arch until they could move to Beauchief. The tenant there was ready to quit more quickly than anticipated and after some worry on account of the farm being left untilled and the house un-heated over the winter, the move took place in 1804. Several children were born. Mr. Steade farmed the home farm himself and embarked on a careful farm dairy in 1805.
Peter Pegge-Burnell lived until 1836. Thereafter Stead succeeded to the estates, assumed the name of Pegge-Burnell, carried out reservations at the Hall and became a magistrate and a sheriff. His family remained at Beauchief until about the end of the century.
Despite the industrial growth of Sheffield, Beauchief itself remained a quiet and rural place. Strelleys, Pegges and then Steades, had replaced the Premonstratensian canons. Much of the stone of the abbey had been used to build the Hall, but the general changes had not been so revolutionary as might have been supposed. The conservative ways of the 18th century squire and a 15th century abbot had much in common.
The Pegge-Burnells owned Beauchief hall until 1909, when it was rented to Mr. William Wilson. This gentleman eventually bought the Hall in 1922. Later it became the home of Mr. A. Kingford Wilson, a former Master Cutler.
From then on the old house has passed through a number of hands, which includes being used as offices by a local furnishing company. In 1958, the Hall and grounds were acquired by the De La Salle College, the grounds being used as playing fields for the college boys. For six years, the Hall was on lease to the Beauchief Independent Grammar School for Girls. In 1969, the DLS Old Boys Cricket Club, which had been in continuous existence for over 20 years, became aware that the girls' school at Beauchief Hall was to move. Brother Wilfrid, De la Salle headmaster, had long associations with the cricket club. When he was approached for tentative discussions on the possibility of a sports club being formed at Beauchief Hall, his response was cautious but not discouraging, It became obvious that a much wider base than the cricket club would be needed to promote a successful club. When it seemed that subject to viable plans being submitted, permission could be possible, a meeting was called at the Grosvenor Hotel Penthouse Suite in Sheffield. Invitations were put to as many De La Salle old boys as could be mustered. Around 60 were invited, all of whom attended. In a spirit of tremendous enthusiasm the decision to form a club was unanimously carried. A small committee was formed to initiate the legal formalities of forming a limited company. In due course the De La Salle Association Club Ltd. was formed and following upon this the first management committee was appointed. The Club has grown and continues to flourish. Members are grateful to have such a place to meet. Members are drawn from all walks of life.
Since Beauchief Hall has been owned by the DLS College, a certain amount of restoration has been accomplished. Oak panelling in a number of rooms, which has at some time been painted, has now been stripped and restored to something of its former appearance. Outside, there is a mounting block at the edge of the car park and a monk's bath in one of the lower ponds. Most of the beauty of Beauchief Hall is in the architecture of the exterior. However, in the Hall is a very fine alabaster fireplace with a simpler fireplace of the same material in the dining room. The corridors have red floor-tiles. A number of them show the arms of the Pegge-Burnells.